1/25/2005

Ahhh the types of emails I get at work...

Here's an example of what I have to deal with at work, and how I deal with it...

The situation: A coworker had asked about information that I had to retrieve from a database using a custom query. After I answered her, I get this: (Names have been changed to protect the employed)

Question:
Are you offended by the fact that I ask you a question, via email, so that you can answer it at your earliest convenience?
Or, do you prefer that I stand there, right next to you, interrupt whatever thought or conversation you may be having (with yourself or anyone else for that matter), ask you a question that is important but does not require an instantaneous reply, and then wait for you to reply?
If your answer is that you prefer for me to interrupt you, then please advise (and, you may be happy to know that you and P are beginning to think alike).

And I reply (my answers in blue):
Question:
Are you offended by the fact that I ask you a question, via email, so that you can answer it at your earliest convenience?
It takes a hell of a lot to offend me, an email does not offend me.

Or, do you prefer that I stand there, right next to you, interrupt whatever thought or conversation you may be having (with yourself or anyone else for that matter), ask you a question that is important but does not require an instantaneous reply, and then wait for you to reply?
I would actually prefer if you ask me no questions at all but I think that is outside the scope of reality so we will ignore my preferences on that point.
If the question does not require an instantaneous reply, then why ask in a medium that requires an instantaneous response? Although I do appreciate your desire to have me know that I should be at your beck and call, I don't think it's proper for you to hover around my desk like a hungry vulture seeking to peck out my knowledge in a piecemeal fashion. In essence, if the question does not need an immediate answer and I SEEM occupied, send an email. I understand that your hovering is territorial in nature but please exclude my cube from your "range".

If your answer is that you prefer for me to interrupt you, then please advise (and, you may be happy to know that you and P are beginning to think alike).
I taught the boy everything he knows.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home